Tuesday, November 6, 2012

Autumn in New York - Ambience

Tuesday, November 6, 2012
Hello!

I don't know about you, but it is definitely starting to feel like fall is settling in for good around here. We've had frost on the ground the past couple of mornings, and I've broken out the gloves and scarves! (Not a fan of scraping the windshield at 5:30am, however.)


I did a little fall decorating a while back, and thought I'd share. Nothing too fancy, just simple and easy ways to make our apartment feel like fall... and help me embrace the reality that I will soon be in a state of partial frozenness until I can finally thaw out in May. Anyway, onto the ambience!

       

I used these pumpkins along with some paper flowers and artificial leaves to start. I used this mod podge transfer jar to hold the flowers and leaves. Then I added my DIY map art and a light blue frame because I liked the soft, faded colors contrasted with the bolder colors in the leaves. 

Since fall is the season with Thanksgiving and lots of family & friend gatherings, the map art reminds me of my family and friends back home in Washington, and our dear friends here in NY. So thankful for such lovely people on both sides of the country!


On our windowsill, I placed two little pumpkins on top of some small canisters, and a small vase with leaves and sheet music flowers in between. I love baby pumpkins!



On our table, I filled two mason jars with some water and orange food dye, and wrapped some twine around the top. Then I placed a floating candle in each. It's really easy and I love the glow of the candle in the orange water!




I also love the smell of spiced cider. It definitely reminds me of crisp autumn days, crunchy leaves, and getting nice and cozy on the couch with a good book (or a textbook these days....) I decided to make a simmer pot recipe to fill our tiny apartment with this amazing smell.


I used a stick of cinnamon, some whole cloves, nutmeg, water, and some orange juice since I didn't have any orange peel on hand. I turned the stove on low and let the steam fill the air with this glorious smell. I added water every so often to keep it all from evaporating off. I've got to say, it smells a-mazing!


Hope you're settling into fall as well!


Linking up at




15 comments:

  1. Ładne te jesienne aranżacje....Pozdrawiam z Polad

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great post, your photos are so lovely! Saw you link up on a bunch of link parties. Would love it if you linked up on my blog hop and added it to your list www.w-t-fab.com/search/label/bloghop. Also let me know if you'd like to follow each other!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your fall decor is so nice and how clever on those mason jars with food colord water!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Jennifer! Mason jars are the best :)

      Delete
  4. Your decor look so pretty. I love the rustic edge to everything.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love your Fall decor! So pretty and unique! I'd like to invite you to share it at my party, Twirl & Take a Bow at www.houseontheway.com. I hope you can join in the fun!
    Leslie
    Ps This is my first time to your blog. Glad I found you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Leslie! Headed over to your party now!! Glad you stopped by :)

      Delete
  6. Beautiful fall decor! I especially love the wall art with the states, I'm from Seattle too! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Taryn! Are you living in Seattle now? I miss it!! We're hoping to move back there when I'm done with med school! Thanks for hosting a great party!

      Delete
  7. Beautiful creation and reflection of Autumn

    ReplyDelete
  8. Amazing decoration! I love the Fall and I usually use exactly the same materials to decore my home, they just make me feel so comfortable at home!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Heather! They definitely have a comfy home feel :)

      Delete
  9. Sarah,
    Thanks for joining in on my party! Stop by tomorrow to see your Fall Decor featured. Be sure to link up another great post to tomorrows party too! Have a great week.
    Leslie
    House on the Way

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...