Monday, November 19, 2012

Thanksgiving Craft

Monday, November 19, 2012


Happy Thanksgiving Week!


Just a couple more days until tons of turkey, mashed potatoes, stuffing, yams, cranberry sauce, pumpkin pie... can't wait!

I wanted to share this simple Thanksgiving/fall craft with you before we head into the Christmas season. It's super easy and fun to do!

        

I started with three frames I purchased at the Christmas Tree Shops. They were painted with bright neon yellow stripes, but they were on clearance, so I couldn't pass them up. As you can see, I painted them white.


Next, I found a lovely little red leaf from outside and traced it onto a scrap piece of canvas.


Then I stitched around the pencil marking with red thread. First I used a sewing machine, and then went over it again by hand. Next, I cut around the stitched leaf, leaving a small margin of canvas.


I placed this on top of a piece of burlap, and set it inside one of the smaller frames.


Next, I took the actual leaf and placed it onto a piece of canvas along with a few strands of burlap and put it into the other small frame.


Finally, I printed out a simple phrase in red ink onto computer paper, and placed it into the larger frame.


That's it! I have the two leaf pictures on either side of the framed text. Let me know what you think! I'm thinking this could be fun to change out each season!


Hope you have a wonderful Thanksgiving with friends and family! I have so much to be thankful for, including all of you. Thanks for all your support and kind words!


Linking up at


10 comments:

  1. Bardzo ładne i pomysłowe obrazki ....Pozdrawiam cieplutko pa.....

    ReplyDelete
  2. How absolutely adorable! Very creative! Thanks for sharing at my party at House on the Way! Have a Happy Thanksgiving!
    Leslie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Leslie! And thanks for hosting :)

      Delete
  3. This is adorable! I love the red stitching and that you also used the leaf in the other frame too :)

    Happy Thanksgiving and thanks for sharing this idea! Brie @ Breezy Pink Daisies

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Happy Thanksgiving to you too, Brie! I wasn't originally planning on using the other leaf, but I'm glad I did... such an easy way to fill an empty frame!

      Delete
  4. Like this! Tracing then stitching leaf is brilliant! Pinned:) Following your blog now. Follow me too at www.sewsweetvintage.com I posted "dolled up" to whimsy wed.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much! I'm glad you like it :) Headed over to check out your project!

      Delete
  5. Hi Sarah, found your Thanksgiving project and really liked it. You inspired my creation of leaf mug rugs. I was looking for a craft that included fabric and sewing and thanks to you, the parent helpers in my classroom will have a handmade gift to say "thank you. "

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That is so wonderful! I'm so glad the project was an inspiration for what sounds like a great craft for your parent helpers!

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...